The Lane Library District is looking for a creative and enthusiastic youth services librarian to serve infants through young adults as well as some more general community librarian functions. The successful candidate will join a warm, fun, caring team of board members, staff, and volunteers who endeavor to make Creswell Library one of Oregon’s best libraries. The Youth & Community Services Librarian will play an active role in the continued development of the children’s and teens’ departments, setting up programs, and doing community outreach. The library is located in Creswell, Oregon—a friendly, growing, small community. Our service population is about 10,000 people, who live in Creswell and the surrounding rural area, 10 miles south of Eugene.
- Planning, promoting, and presenting programs for preschoolers, grade-school-age children, and young adults, including early literacy programs
- Development and management of children’s and young adult collections
- Planning and promoting children’s outreach programs to schools, daycare centers, and community groups
- Answering children’s and young adult reference and reader’s advisory questions
- Using technology and online resources in reference, programming, and other areas
- Compiling youth bibliographies and collection guides
- Assisting the Library Director as needed
- Assisting occasionally with circulation and other tasks as needed
- Must be willing to work some evening hours and some Saturdays
- Some travel/driving will be required for meetings and for outreach purposes
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds, with some exposure to weights up to 50 pounds
- MLIS (or significant work towards completing the master’s degree).
- Recent experience or training in planning and providing programs for children from birth to young adult.
- The applicant must have good communication skills, be self-motivated, and be able to work effectively with paid and volunteer staff.
- Recent experience or training with online resources, databases, and automated library systems.
- Experience in creating and presenting children’s programs.
- One year of public library experience, preferably in a youth department.
- Recent knowledge and experience with children’s and young adult literature, periodicals, video games, and online resources.
- Recent experience with outreach and early literacy theory and programs.
- Full-time, exempt salaried position, working 40 hours per week
- Somewhat flexible work hours; including evening and weekend hours
- $54,277 annual salary
- Family health, dental, vision, and prescription insurance provided with a 10% employee contribution
- Employee term life and long-term disability insurance
- 401/457 deferred compensation plan
To apply: By September 13th, 2022 submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A Cover Letter that includes how you meet the qualifications, your interest in the position, and a statement of your philosophy regarding the role of the library (and youth librarian) in a small community,
- A current resume or CV,
- A list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references
- 2022 LLD Employment Application.docx
Direct questions to:
Nick Caum, Acting Director
Lane Library District
Phone (541) 895-3053